Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Tale of Two Haircuts

                Lately, I have noticed that AJ’s sideburns and cowlicks get, like, extremely bushy.  And no amount of water or gel can contain them if they get too long.  About a week ago AJ decided to trim his sideburns while he was shaving, and he did a great job, but his cowlicks were still out of control.  So, this morning, we made time to give him a full on haircut because it was way past time.
                You may not know, but in salons they have “client cards” which are cards that tell the stylist everything they need to know about the clients’ hair.  Such as information on how much hair was cut off and which cut was performed; as well as, client preferences, colors/ lighteners, perms, processing times and so on.  I really, really need to make a “client card” for AJ because neither he nor I ever remember what length he likes.  It always goes something like this:
Me: “Honey, what length do you like for your sides again?” 
AJ: “I don’t know you are the stylist.”
Me: “I know I am, but I can’t remember everyone’s preference on their hair length.  I seriously need to make a client card for you.  How does a ¼” sound?  Does that sound right?” 
AJ: “Ummm … yeah.  Sure.” 
Me: “Ok.  Here we go.” 
A few minutes later … 
Me: “Well, a ¼” wasn’t right.  It must be a ½” that we always do.  Oh well, too late now.”
                Isn’t that the silliest thing ever?  And I could fix it SO easily, all I have to do is write it down, but I always forget.  It is highly possible that AJ’s haircut ended up shorter than it was supposed to be ... again.  (Maybe this post will help me remember which guard to use the next time that I cut AJ’s hair.)
                While I had my clippers and cape out, and I was covered in hair, I figured I might as well cut Samuel’s hair as well.   I sat him up on a box, on the chair, and I cut his hair all down to a ½”.  And if he didn’t have a CRAZY cowlick too I could have stopped there, but alas he has a strong cowlick, just like his Daddy’s.  On the back of his neck, all of the hair on the right side grows toward the left side- no joke.  So when his hair is long it looks like he has a mullet on his left side instead of the center.  Nasty, right?  Yeah.  Well, I was working on trimming off his mullet when Samuel shook his head and buzz!  A big chuck of hair was buzzed clean off the right side of the back of his head.  I couldn’t believe it- it looked horrible.  In order to fix it, this was the haircut Samuel got instead because it would have been too difficult to blend the sides with this kid.

The 1/2" cut.
Nice short length for summer, right?



Apparently, it wasn't short enough for Samuel- 1/8" cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment