Wednesday, June 20, 2012

How to: Sweet and Sour Chicken


                I found this recipe forever ago, and I have tweaked it to make it totally awesome!!  And I have been meaning to share it with you all for quite a while.  PS: You will want to try this, trust me, because I have NEVER ever liked sweet and sour sauce before.  This is a life changing recipe.  Seriously.  So, without further ado, I give you … The BEST Sweet and Sour Chicken- from scratch.
                WAIT!!  Don’t leave.  You can’t give up before you have even read the recipe.  I almost did the exact same thing when I found the original recipe.  Just remember- this can change your life, for the better.


The chicken:
                Ok, if you really want to go all out, here is an easy and super yummy way to fry your own chicken for this recipe.  If you want to get seriously crazy, like pioneer crazy, and butcher your own chicken … crazy!  I applaud you, and I could post a how-to-video if anyone would like.  Unfortunately, I am not pioneer crazy, so I buy fresh chicken breasts at Wal-Mart.  I usually always batter and fry my own chicken, but when I am lazy or Lily is crying at me or I don’t have a lot of time, I just warm up some Tyson’s chicken.  It still tastes great, and it’s quick, which is a plus.  But to fry your own chicken you will need the following:

3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” cubes)
Flour ( I like to mix a little wheat flour into my white flour)
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. water
Oil for frying

Mix the egg yolks, soy sauce and water.  First, roll the chicken pieces in the flour, then coat them in the egg mixture, and then roll them in the flour again.  Deep fry the battered chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes, and drain on paper towels.  (If needed, make additional egg mixture by halving/ doubling the above amounts ... etc.)

Me battering the chicken pieces.
AJ frying them.
Beautiful, right?!  And SO easy too.

The sauce:
1/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. cornstarch
(The amount of vinegar can be adjusted from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup depending on how "sour" you want it.)
Pineapple
Onion (cut into 1” pieces)
Bell pepper (cut into 1” pieces)
Tomatoes (cut into 1” pieces)

To make the sweet and sour sauce mix: vinegar, sugar, salt, orange juice, pineapple juice, and ketchup in a medium sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and let boil for about 3 to 5 minutes.  (The amount of time doesn’t really matter as long as all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed and the sugar is dissolved.)  While the sauce is boiling mix 2 tbsp. of cornstarch into 1/4 cup juice, either orange or pineapple or a little of both, I use pineapple.  After the sauce is done boiling turn off the heat.  Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and stir in until thickened.

If you want chunks of pineapple or tomato, now would be the time to add them to the sauce.  (I don’t really like tomatoes, so I only put in pineapple.)  Add your pineapple and tomato to the sauce and heat thoroughly.  Sauté the onions and bell pepper in a separate pan.  If you desire you can add them to the sauce as well or serve them on the side.

Gently pour your finished sweet and sour sauce over your chicken and serve with white rice.  Be sure to eat immediately. Bon appetite!!  (This recipe serves approximately 4 adults.)
Yummy, yummy, yummy!!

2 comments:

  1. Do you think it would taste good without frying the chicken? We're not much into fried chicken. This looks so dang good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. You can always try it! Let me know!

      Delete