Thursday, April 19, 2012

There's an ELEPHANT in the room

                This adorable little stuffed elephant was the beginning of Samuel’s obsession with the animal.  But there is a story behind this little bundle of stuffing.  When my Mom, Samuel’s grandma, was around 14 years old, she took a sewing class, and one of their assignments was to sew, by hand, a stuffed animal.  This cute elephant that my son adores is the stuffed animal my Mom made.  My 14 year old mother didn’t know what to do with the stuffed animal after it was graded, so she gave it to my Grandma Gurr, her Mom and Samuel’s Great-Grandma.  Grandma Gurr kept the little stuffed elephant for over 30 years, and when we brought Samuel down to visit her, she gave it to him.  So Samuel’s Grandma made the elephant and it was given to him by his Great-Grandma Gurr.  (It also happens to match perfectly with his safari bed spread that Great- Grandma made for Samuel as well.)
                Since Samuel has fallen in love with this new stuffed animal he has begun to notice elephants EVERYWHERE.  I had no idea that we had so many elephants in our house.  His favorite books all have elephants in them:




Can you find the elephant?  I read this book a million times and never saw it.  It was the first thing Samuel pointed out.


 Some of his favorite movies just happen to have elephants in them:


 Even his shampoo has an elephant on the front- I didn’t even notice!! 


Samuel is not one to let the elephant in the room go unnoticed.  *Wink*

2 comments:

  1. He is so cute. Love that pick of him holding the elephant. Miss him so much! - Manj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, how sweet and cute. What a special gift!

    ReplyDelete