Sunday, April 1, 2012

And Two Becomes Three ...

                While AJ and I were engaged we discussed when we wanted to start our family.  We mutually agreed that after we had a year or two under our belt, we would start having kids.  So the next topic we needed to discuss was birth control.  During the period of time when we were researching different birth control methods; AJ had his live ordinance interview with his bishop.  I accompanied AJ and waited outside the bishop’s office while AJ was being interviewed.  When the door opened I was invited to join them so the bishop could speak with both of us and offer us some advice.
                I can only remember some of the advice that he shared with us.  I recall the bishop saying that I would need to be patient with AJ as he learns to be a father.  He also advised us to study the scriptures together daily, and to pray as a couple each morning and evening.  What I remember most was his counsel to not postpone beginning our family.  This one struck me most because the Spirit also whispered to me that we should not delay.  I was a little bit shocked, but mostly I was nervous about telling AJ.  We had just agreed about waiting and now I felt we shouldn’t.  I cannot recall much of our visit with the bishop after that point.
                On our walk back to my car, AJ said something along the lines of, “So … when the bishop said this…”  I don’t think that I even let him finish- I already knew exactly what he was talking about!  I just laughed out loud and said, “I was just about to say that exact thing!  I am so glad you said it first.”  This changed our previous decision and we decided we weren’t going to try to get pregnant but we weren’t going to try to prevent anything either.  Our wedding day was not long after this experience.  I was positive that it would take at LEAST 4 or 5 months for me to get pregnant, maybe longer.  To my great surprise I was pregnant within the week!  My due date was our 9 month anniversary.
                I am so grateful that AJ and I decided not to wait on kids.  We were so ecstatic to become parents!  The next nine months were long and short, hard and easy- the beginning of an adventure.
Brain and spine.
It's a boy!!
Tiny foot.
Sucking on thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment