Sunday, May 5, 2013

Dearest Lily,

May 5, 2013
Happy birthday my Darling!  You have made my nights much more lively and bright this past year, livelier than they ever were previously, and my days even more so.  I can hardly imagine our family was once complete without you.

I remember the night you were born, it was the dead of night and I was so weary from labor, it was a struggle to keep my eyes open; until they placed you gently into my shaking arms.  Instantly, you filled a gap in my heart I hadn't even realized was there, I was in awe over you- your chunky cheeks, tiny fingers, and expressive eyes.  And your little tongue, always just barely visible between your lips.

You were so little, Miss Lily.

So perfect.

A child of God.

It amazed me how “girl” you were, female sass and spunk from the very beginning, through and through.  The art of tantrums and tears were your tools of persuasion, and you were adept for sure.  Samuel was easily influenced by your tears, and I would be lying if I said Daddy and I were immune to them.

How quickly this last year has gone by!  From rolling over, to crawling, to walking- all in a blink of an eye.  There is so much I am going to treasure from these fleeting days: the smell of your misshaped newborn head, rocking you in my arms while you sleep, comforting you with a kiss, your tiny naked bum running away from me, the sound of your laugh while you and Samuel play together, watching your wonder at the world around you.  The fascination only children seem to have.  Moments I will cherish forever, in my memory.

Yet, at the same time, there's oodles and more I am eager for: seeing you grow, from childhood into adulthood, helping you learn all you need to know, both in the secular world and spiritual world.  Witnessing first hand, as life unfolds before you, bringing you much joy and a few sorrows.  Growth and happiness come through life's experiences, Sweetheart; happiness is only sweet if you have tasted some of the bitter also.  Remember the Savior always, not only in your times of heartache, but in your times of ease and prosperity as well.  Especially, in your times of prosperity.  I know the Lord loves you.  He is always watching over you, He hears your prayers and will guide you.  Pray to Him, and He will answer.  In His own way, in His own time, but He will always answer.  I can testify of that.

Lily, we have countless memories to make and laughs to enjoy.  To your first year, baby girl, and many more to come.

I love you Lily Bean!

Mommy
Found on "Joy of Mom" Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment