Saturday, August 31, 2013

To my sweetest Samuel

August 31, 2013

Today is a special day.  This particular day has already come and gone twice since the day you were born, and here it is again for the third time- your birthday.  You have been with us for three years, or you could say 1095 days or 65,700 hours or even 3,942,000 minutes.  However long it's been, whether measured in days or hours, it hasn't been long enough.  We still have many more days and years ahead of us.

I remember when I first felt your small movements inside my womb—it was a magical moment.  It was a surreal moment.  I couldn't have been more excited or more nervous.

was going to have a baby. . . I was going to have you.

I remember how completely positive I was that you were going to be a little girl.  Imagine my surprise when Uncle Dave announced you were actually a little boy!  I was truly shocked, and I had no idea what to expect.  I felt inadequate- I know nothing about little boys.

When you were born you were so tiny!  And yet so big, at the same time-- over nine pounds of pure chunky adorableness.

It was so good to finally hold you in our arms.

Little did I know then the adventure you were soon to bring into my life.  I am not going to lie, we had a few long hard nights, but even more days full of delight and laughter.  Just you and me.  Although, sometimes we let Daddy in on our fun.

How quickly you have grown from newborn to toddler!  You can talk, walk, run.  You have favorites, for goodness sake.  You have so many opinions and even more questions.  I love it!  Just tonight, Daddy and I were asking you questions about yourself.  I asked you, if you could have any pet, what would you choose.  Your first answer was a fish, which quickly changed to a pig, til finally you settled on a doggie.  (But the pig was a close second.)  Then Daddy asked you what your favorite color was.  This question confused you slightly at first because there are "colors" and then there is "coloring"- two definitions of one word.  Daddy cleared it up by saying his favorite color was green and within seconds you piped up. . . your favorite color is ORANGE!  Orange, orange, orange.  My second question for you was, "When you get big like Daddy, what do you want to do?"  Your immediate response was, "I want to play with Daddy."  Not exactly what I was looking for but that is okay.  You have plenty of time.  Stay that way for a while longer.  Mommy still needs you to be her baby.

You fill my heart with joy, Samuel.  I hope you always know your Mommy loves you to the farthest star and back again.  I am so proud to call you my son.

Lots of love- always and forever,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment